Santa Maria-style Tri-Tip Beef Roast. Flavorful, succulent, oven-roasted Santa Maria-style tri tip roast is a southern California barbeque favorite. If you want to get a taste of southern California barbeque, this is it. A mainstay of California cooking, our tri-tip recipe stays true to the Santa Maria Valley tradition.
Though it's not known as one of the popular cuts of beef, it's this recipe that has made Tri Tip one of my favorites. To me, Santa Maria-style tri-tip barbecue is all about gathering family and friends together and eating al fresco, something that we do a lot of here in California. Unlike other roasts that you cook low-and-slow to break down connective tissues (I'm looking at you beef brisket), Santa Maria-style tri-tip. You can cook Santa Maria-style Tri-Tip Beef Roast using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Santa Maria-style Tri-Tip Beef Roast
- You need 2-2.5 of Lbs. Tri-tip beef roast.
- You need 2 tsp. of Salt.
- You need 2 tsp. of Black pepper, ground.
- You need 2 tsp. of Garlic powder.
- You need 1.5 tsp. of Paprika.
- It’s 1 tsp. of Onion powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of Rosemary, dried/crushed.
- You need .25 tsp. of Cayenne pepper.
- It’s .33 C. of Red Wine Vinegar.
- Prepare .33 C. of Vegetable/cannola oil.
- You need 4 cloves of Garlic, crushed/minced.
- Prepare .5 tsp. of Dijon Mustard.
To oven-roast a tri-tip, prepare meat with rub and refrigerate as instructed. On stovetop, heat on high until pan is very hot, then add tri-tip, fat side down. Turn heat to medium-high and sear roast for. Store excess Santa Maria spice rub in an airtight container in a cool, dry cupboard.
Santa Maria-style Tri-Tip Beef Roast step by step
- Utensils needed: Air-tight container for marinating beef, one cup sealable container for vinegar mixture, spoon, 1 cup liquid measuring cup, measuring spoons, large serving platter, grill/broiler pan, optional mortar & pestle/garlic press..
- In air-tight container, mix dry ingredients (Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic powder, Paprika, Onion powder, Rosemary, and Cayenne pepper) to make spice mixture..
- Place tri-tip on serving platter and completely coat all sides with spice mixture. Return to air-tight container and refrigerate for 4 hours..
- Mix Vinegar, Oil, crushed/minced Garlic, and Mustard in a covered container. Blend/shake well. Set aside for later. Shake well before using..
- After 4 hours, remove tri-tip from refrigerator and let sit uncovered/loosely covered for 30 minutes..
- Preheat grill/broiler to high heat. Lightly oil grate/broiler pan..
- Preheat grate/broiler pan. Place tri-tip on preheated surface, shake vinegar/oil mixture, then brush/bastetri tri-tip. Baste and cook for 4 minutes before turning. Repeat until desired temperature is reached. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. If cutting, cut across the grain of meat..
Today we prepared a tri-tip roast by cooking it sous vide and then finishing it on a hot grill. Santa Maria Tri-Tip Roast is a quick dinner option, easily grilled or oven-baked in no time at all! Before this time most butchers would cut up that section for ground beef. Its typically served with This tri tip roast cut is very well known in California and the west coast. If you're having trouble locating it.